Tuesday, June 24, 2008

BRILLIANT!

As the Brits would say, I have BRILLIANT news! I just received word that Anthem Press has decided to hire me as an intern for the remainder of my time in London! I am so unbelievably excited to get out of working at Goodlife and to start working at a wonderful book publishing company!

Work today was particularly horrid. You know how Miranda Priestly (from The Devil Wears Prada) always tells her assistants to do things but they have no idea what she means and she refuses to answer questions but gets really angry if things aren't done properly? Well, my boss at Goodlife is pretty much exactly that way. For example, today she was quite adamant that I find an email from "Thomas C---" and I searched all throughout every folder I could think of on the editor.goodlifemedia email address. Then I told her I couldn't find any emails from Thomas, and she said, "Well, maybe it's on another computer." So I asked Brooke to look on her computer's email, and she couldn't find it. I finally asked Noreen if she knew where I might find the email, and she explained generally what the email was about, and I was like, "Oh, I know that email! I read it this morning!" I went back to the computer I was using, and the email was not from anyone named Thomas C---. It was from a gentleman with an Italian-sounding name who had published two ads in our last issue of Goodlife Magazine, one of which was for a company called Thomas C---. So I was just supposed to know that, apparently. My boss was also in a particularly foul mood, yelling at everyone and even throwing pens. She told me that she's had dogs who are brighter than one of my co-workers and she said that Brooke (and, by extension, all interns) are "not important" while Brooke was in the room.

Two good things did happen at work today though. First of all, Brooke and I decided to take the Tube down one stop to West Fulham and eat lunch there. We ate at a pub with personality called The Slug. They had Wimbledon on in the background, and we got to see a little bit of Venus Williams playing. Our food took way longer to get there than we thought it would. Then we had to wait over 20 minutes for our train back to West Brompton station (where we get out for Goodlife) because, as the announcer kept saying, "Ladies and gentlemen, we are experiencing severe delays on the District line." In England, everyone gets really long lunch breaks (usually an hour minimum). We were gone for an hour and a half or so! Normally, of course this would really stress me out. But my internship is so stressful that I didn't even care. Suffering a little disapproval for being late from lunch is nothing because if we got back on time, we'd be suffering disapproval for something else.

The other good thing that happened today was that I got to meet a real British lord! I know throughout this whole internship I've been like, "I don't care about wealthy or elite people; they're just the same as other people." Which is true, of course. But meeeting a real British lord who is, in Ilana's words, "not just a lord but a really good person," was really fun. When he met me, he did one of those European handshakes and kiss on the cheek things, which I think is great. Just the fact that he is a British lord reminds me of Mr Darcy or Aragorn or something.

But anyways, I am just so glad to be done with that horrible internship and to be starting a new and exciting one! The only thing that's bad is that Brooke hasn't gotten another placement yet because my new one came around really quickly. It would be so awful to go to Goodlife alone, especially when I'm sure she'll have to endure pointed questions about my leaving. So I REALLY hope that she gets a new placement soon too!

1 comment:

Jessi said...

So my mom informed me that it's normal to get an hour lunch in America too. I probably should have known that, but I've never had a job where I've gotten an hour for lunch. Even when I worked at CBE (which was a normal office job), we just got like a half hour for lunch. Of course, we also had a cafeteria in our building, so it was really convenient.