Friday, June 27, 2008

The Next Chapter in the Saga

My broad fan base has requested that I update the blog because they can't sleep at night waiting to hear what happened in this crucial turning point of my story. (Okay, one person, namely Ann Gullman, requested an update and I may have embellished how much she wanted an update.)

But anyways, quitting at Goodlife actually went surprisingly well. I wanted to be both honest and civil, and I think that aim was achieved. Both Brooke and Sara (and, of course, myself) were shocked at how well my boss took it. I stayed until lunchtime and then I practiced taking the Tube down to Anthem Press. It's also an office that looks like a flat, but it is much more organized and up-to-date technologically than Goodlife. Not to mention it has a much nicer staff and much worthier goals (the advancement of ideas and the betterment of people's minds).

The specific job I'll be doing is not INCREDIBLY interesting, but that's completely fine! I am basically in charge of conducting research for a guidebook about the best parks and gardens in Europe. Anthem Press is creating its own series of thematically-oriented guidebooks (they've done operahouses/music venues and art galleries/museums so far). It's a lot of tedious Google searching, but at the end of the day, I will actually be credited in a published book! So that is incredibly exciting! Plus I love researching travel options (though it's a lot more fun when you believe you'll actually be visiting the places).

This morning, I went to a World History conference to help sell and promote Anthem's world history titles. It was really slow, but it was still fun for me to feel like I was on the inside of a publishing convention. :-) I got to check in and say, "I'm Jessi. I'm here with Anthem Press." I also felt at home amongst the book publishing crowd. They are the type of people more interested in books and ideas than clothes or money. Interestingly enough, the conference was run by Americans, so there were quite a few American-speaking individuals there. It was funny because there was supposed to be both tea and coffee, but only the tea came out at first. Everyone flocked to the hot beverages table, but when the Americans found out that only tea was available at that time, they all said disappointedly, "Oh." Truth be told, I was a little disappointed too. I do really like English tea, but coffee is still my first love when it comes to hot caffeinated beverages. I, however, drank a cup of tea despite all my fellow Americans rejecting it. (I drank a cup of coffee later. Two caffeinated beverages are better than one!)

Besides getting a new internship, I have also visited the Tate Modern (just for a short time because it's free and I can go back) and Kellie and I went to Wimbledon! One of her friends (not from our program) is interning there, and she managed to get us free grounds passes. That means that we couldn't go to centre court to see the bigwigs, but we still got to see a really good match between two of the "lesser bigwigs." It was just really fun to be at a world-class event, and I think tennis is really good as far as sports go. It's kind of the chess of sports.

Anyways, I never know how to conclude my blog posts (which is possibly why I just keep going on and on, haha.) So...THE END.

No comments: