Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Would You Like Some Cheese With that Whine?

I just want to register a quick complaint. Not any of my faithful blog readers, of course, but other people in the outside world seem to have difficulty grasping how terrible my internship at Goodlife was/is. Brooke and I both feel that people don't understand what it's like. You can tell all the stories you want and express all the unhappiness and stress you can, but people think you're just whining. Lots of managers are like that, they seem to say. You're not going to have a perfect job when you're just an intern. Yes. Obviously. I have had crappy jobs before that I've hated but I have never in my life quit a job after just a few days simply because I didn't particularly like it. In fact, I've almost always quit jobs after I've worked at them the amount of time I thought I would (the summer, the school year, whatever). And usually whenever I quit, my boss/manager requests multiple times that I stay and tells me that I can come back any time. So I'm not entirely unexperienced with working, and I'm usually considered a very good worker with a very good attitude. (Sorry if I'm sounding prideful; I need to work on that, I guess.) So it's just really frustrating when people here think that I'm just whining and that my job really can't be that bad and that I probably just didn't know what to expect, etc. So as I said, it's none of you, but it does matter to me that you understand because I want SOMEONE to understand and not think I'm crazy. It really is bad enough to get a new placement, I promise. I know what's an acceptable amount of stress and negative work environment and horrible co-workers and mundane jobs and disorganized systems and what is over the line. This place is over the line.

No comments: